Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Section 129 of the Species at Risk Act requires Parliament to review the Act five years after that section comes into force:
Five years after this section comes into force, a committee of the House of Commons, of the Senate or of both Houses of Parliament is to be designated or established for the purposes of reviewing this Act.
This section came into force on June 5, 2003.
The Parliamentary five-year Review of SARA was referred to the House of Commons Standing Committee on Environment and Sustainability on February 24, 2009. The Committee began its substantive work on March 10, 2009.
Environment Canada, Fisheries and Oceans Canada and Parks Canada Agency have submitted to the Standing Committee a Progress Report and Case Studies.
- SARA Progress Report, (PDF version, 220 KB)
- Case Studies
- Banff Springs Snail, (PDF version, 22 KB)
- Garry Oak Ecosystems, (PDF version, 34 KB)
- Northern Abalone, (PDF version, 28 KB)
- Piping Plover, circumcinctus subspecies, (PDF version, 74 KB)
- Plains Bison, (PDF version, 25 KB)
- Polar Bear, (PDFversion, 29 KB)
- Sea Otter, (PDF version, 22 KB)
- Spotted, Northern and Atlantic Wolffish, (PDF version, 24 KB)
Additional documentation was also provided as follows to support the committee in its work.
- Species at Risk Act
- Formative Evaluation of Federal Species at Risk Programs
- National Accord for the Protection of Species at Risk
- National Framework for Species at Risk Conservation
- Report on the Minister's 2006 Round Table Under the Species at Risk Act
- Response of the Minister of the Environment
- Examples of other SARA documents:
- Recovery Strategy and Action Plan for the Banff Springs Snail (Physella johnsoni) in Canada
- Canada-Saskatchewan Agreement on Species at Risk
- A Memorandum of Understanding to Harmonize the Designation of Rare, Threatened and Endangered Species under the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement and the Listing of Wildlife Species at Risk under the Species at Risk Act
- Canada Gazette Part II: Ottawa, Wednesday, March 18, 2009: Order Amending Schedule 1 to the Species at Risk Act
- The Status of Wild Species in Canada (SARA General Status Report 2003–2008: Overview Document)
- Species at Risk Act Annual Report for 2006 and 2007
- SARA: Report to Parliament, 2005
- SARA: Report to Parliament, 2003-2004
- Summary of the National Roundtable on Polar Bears
- Date Modified: